Why is it so easy to mistreat the ones we are closest to; namely our families? I mean, I can patiently and even kindly deal with a complete stranger at a grocery store check stand, who is slowly counting out all the change in their wallet, but one slightly irritating question or comment from my sister and I snap back with a raised voice and snippy tone. I am working on being more loving and patient these days, and I never really thought I was doing that bad until I watched the loving and patient behavior of my best friend… who also just so happens to be my fiancée.
He was trying to walk his mother through opening his e-mail account over the telephone. You know as much as I know, that the older generation and computers do not always agree with one another and so after repeating the same explanation for the 7th time I looked at this boy with awe realizing that I would have already lost it had it been me explaining the same thing to my mother over the phone, and yet this boy continued with out the slightest change in his loving tone of voice. That really bothered me about myself. My mother doesn’t deserve to be snapped at just because she does not understand something the way I do.
At the end of the 20 minute phone call, my fiancée felt badly because he thought maybe he hadn’t been patient enough, “I just don’t want my mom to ever feel bad,” were his words. I looked at him disbelievingly and assured him he was the most patient person I had ever seen, and then I couldn’t help but smile because everyone always says the best indication of how a boy will treat you is reflected in how he treats his mother. How did I get so lucky? I have no idea! But I do know that this favorite moment of the day is a memory forever imprinted on my brain, and that I am trying just a little bit harder to be the same way.
I love that. I love this blog. I love you. This is troppo inspiring. grazie mille sorella
ReplyDelete